Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"I can hear you through the whine"

My uncle is one of the few people left in the the world without access to the internet, and so when he wanted to make a mix for a lady friend of his he asked me to help/do it for him. He gave me a list of about thirty or forty songs, most of them were either classic rock or some kind of crazy love ballad. I didn't really enjoy making it, except that I got to hear Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell. It's one of the few songs I remember my dad singing and hearing it now the line "I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time" really stuck out to me. Thinking of my dad singing it to whatever mystery woman was enchanting him at the time made me really happy. So I decided to sample the opening orchestral part. I think you'll agree it has kind of a Jens Lekman vibe. I thought since I was starting this blog that I would try to do some new things with the songs as excercises and share them with you. On this one I wanted to work on the vocal phrasing, not just repeating the same melody throughout the verses, but trying to make it a little more dynamic. Also I wanted to try and mixing the song a little differently, most of the time when I mix something everything is doubled left and right and that's why it sounds like shit. For the lyrics of this song, I wanted to write a love song without it being a straight up love song. It's not to one person in particular, it's to everyone. Just to say, I'd be totally fucked without you.


1 comment: